The annual Met Gala just held in New York is never a disappointment and, once again, it set the fashion, hair and makeup trends for the future. Celebrities from the screen, stage and business world show up to this fundraiser for New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and linger on the red carpet as hundreds of paparazzi capture the imagination of designers, hairstylists and makeup artists.
Asked to dress to match the museum’s current exhibit, “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” many celebs sported various headwear to complement their heavenly outfits. Rita Ora’s black spiky Prada headpiece contrasted her long, blonde, straight, flat-ironed hair, parted in the middle. Updos and buns were common to accommodate headpieces like Priyanka Chopra gold-cascading headpiece over her center-parted black bun and Lily Collins’s slicked-back, braided updo with a Lady Liberty-inspired crown. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley chose a golden halo to adorn her low, center-parted bun, while Blake Lively’s tousled updo held up her ornate crown.
Though updos and buns prevailed, there were some great short and angled bob haircuts that solidified their popularity and there were a few fantastic hairstyles show off at the Met Gala that you can do at home. One was Kerry Washington’s voluminous brushed-out curl short hairstyle. And here are two more with step-by-step help on creating these celebrity looks on you own!
Longer Hair – soft, loose waves
Amanda Seyfried was beautiful with her soft, loose waves accented with a gold crown. Here’s how you can get that look at home using professional Aveda hair salon products:
- Aveda Brilliant Damage Control on dry hair and work into hair with fingers to get rid of the frizzies.
- Part hair down in the middle and the back and separate on each shoulder.
- Using a large-barrel (1½”) curling iron and starting from the back, separate a small amount of hair and wrap it around the barrel, leaving the very ends uncurled.
- Tug lightly to loosen the curl.
- Continue curling your hair in small sections, alternating curling toward and away from your face.
- Curl away from your face with the front strands.
- If desired, re-curl shorter strands of hair on top for more volume.
Lastly, re-define your curls and set by spraying your finished look with Aveda Controlforce hairspray.
Medium to Long Hair – High Ponytail
Forget the slicked-back, nape-of-the-neck hair buns. Amal Clooney’s beautiful metallic pants dress was accompanied by a spunky high ponytail at the crown with sides framing her face and swept over bangs. It looks simple and care-free, the the look does take some planning and a bit of finesse. Here’s how:
- Take small sections of hair from the back of the crown forward to just before the front bangs. Spray each with Aveda Aircontrol hairspray and then tease by brushing down from about three inches from the roots to add volume.
- Continue to tease the bottom three inches of your hair as you move forward down the topo center of your head.
- Tease sections on the side if more volume is desired.
- Turn your head upside down and spray overall with a dry shampoo to add texture.
- Gather JUST the hair from the sides (except what you want to hang down on the sides and your bangs) straight back and up into high ponytail.
- Leave the top looser and pull tight on the sides and tie tightly with an elastic band.
- Pull on side sections and push ponytail upward creating a poof in the top of your hair.
- Take the bottom half of your hair and pull together into a second ponytail directly underneath the first and tie tightly with an elastic band.
- Take a THIRD elastic band and tie the to ponytails into one, making one, full, spunky ponytail.
- Pull out a small piece from the back, braid it if you want, then wrap it around the ponytail to hide the hair ties.
- Sweep your bangs to the side, curl the sides, as desired.
- Spray the final look with a final light hold hairspray.
Find Your Perfect Haircut At Your Aveda Hair Salon
Ready to follow the fashion trends of the Met Gala? If you live around Irvine, CA, make an appointment with the professional hairstylists at MK Hairdressing Studio. Our stylists are skilled and experienced in all the latest women’s haircuts and can answer any questions you have about these styles and more. We can change your look completely with one of the popular angled, bob or pixie cuts. Or, we can keep your look fresh by giving you a great cut and style. Our salon is conveniently located in the upscale Woodbury Town Center in Irvine, just off Highway 133 near the 5. Call (949 )559-6001 today and make your appointment for a new, fresh look.